Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Canned Salsa

Not to brag, but I pretty much mastered this on my very first attempt. Delish! It's time consuming so make sure your day is pretty open if you're going to do this. And you might as well make a lot of it while you're at it, but it's definitely worth the time.

I cut this recipe in about half and ended up with 10 1/2 pint jars. It took two large pots to cook it.

Assume that all the ingredients are either chopped or run through the food processor, depending on your preference. Me? I prefer the ease and the texture from the food processor.

10 qt. tomatoes, peeled and squeezed of excess juice and seeds
5 bell peppers
5 jalapeno peppers (with seeds)
2 yellow peppers (I omitted)
1 red pepper (I omitted)
2 long annaheim peppers (I used 3)
2 C. celery chopped (I omitted)
4 med. onions
1-2 bunches of cilantro
8 tomatillos
6 cloves of garlic or 1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. paprika
1 C. white vinegar
1/4 C. salt
3 Tbsp. white sugar
2 Tbsp. black pepper
4 tsp. cumin

Combine all the ingredients and cook for about 3 hours or until it's the consistency you like. (Mine took about 1 1/2 hours and was actually pretty thick)

Bottle cold pack for 25 min. (This is correct time for our high altitude)

No comments: